Saturday, February 27, 2010
Chocolate Pavlova with Passion Fruit Cream
4 egg whites
250 g sugar
4 tsp cornflour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp lemon juice
For the filling:
140 g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
250 ml fresh cream
160 ml plain yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 passion fruit
Preheat oven to 135C. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 25cm circle on the paper and turn the paper over.
1. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until the whites are stiff again.
2. Whisk in the cornflour, cocoa and lemon juice.
3. Spread the meringue over the circle, making a slight dip in the center.
4. Bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
5. In the meantime, make the filling: In the microwave, melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring, until it is smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
6. In a separate bowl, whip the cream with the yogurt and vanilla until thick. Fold 1/4 cup into the chocolate. Set both mixtures aside.
7. Halve the passion fruit and scoop out the pulp. Stir half of the pulp into the cream mixture.
8. Carefully remove the meringue shell from the baking sheet and set on a decorative plate. Fill the center with the passion fruit cream. Top with the chocolate and decorate with remaining passion fruit pulp.
Serve as soon as possible so that the meringue is crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.