Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Hot chocolate fondant
This dessert is easy to make and can even be prepared the day before and then baked when you are ready to serve.
125g butter, plus extra for greasing
20g of cocoa powder
200g dark chocolate
2 eggs, plus 2 yolks
25g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
For the orange compote:
1 large orange, peeled and segmented
2 tsp sugar
100ml white wine
1 tsp cornflour, mixed into a paste with a little water
OR Plum compote:
2 tbsp sugar
juice of 1 orange
OR tinned Cherries
To make hot chocolate fondant :
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Evenly brush four pudding moulds with butter and then coat the buttered moulds with cocoa powder, tapping off any excess. Transfer the prepared moulds to a baking sheet.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie, making sure the bowl does not touch the surface of the water, stir until melted and smooth. Take the bowl off the pan to allow the chocolate to cool slightly.
3. Place the eggs, yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat on high until thick, pale and fluffy and has doubled in volume. Add the cooled chocolate mixture into the eggs and sugar and finally fold in the flour.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the prepared pudding moulds and fill so each is ¾ full. Place in the oven for 12 minutes, until the puddings rise and their surface breaks slightly. The centre of the fondant should still be liquid once cooked. Meanwhile make your compote.
5. For the orange compote, heat the orange in a frying pan, stir in the caster sugar and cook gently until the mixture starts to sizzle. Add the wine and cornflour paste and cook until the compote has reduced by half.
OR For plum compote ,place plums cut side down on to the frying pan.Sprinkle sugar over & fry until browned,turn around,add orange juice & saute until juice is reduced by half.
6. Remove the fondants from the oven and use a sharp knife to cut around the edges of each pudding mould to release. Invert onto plates and carefully remove the moulds.
Serve immediately with the orange compote,plum compote or just with tinned cherries.
Or with a spoonful of vanilla icecream...